United States immigration laws encompass a wide range of situations that involve a person from a foreign county entering this county, whether for a temporary visit or to live and/or work here permanently. The United States immigration system grants immigration status based on various factors such as family reunification, in-demand work skills, and/or capital investment. The immigration system also covers refugees and asylum seekers and provides a “lottery” for immigration status to people who have less pressing immigration needs. The procedure for gaining legal immigrant status will depend upon which path you are eligible to pursue based on your employment, education, and family situation.

Visas are typically the starting point for foreign nationals to visit, work or live in the United States. Visas are official government endorsements permitting a foreign national to remain in a non-native county. In the United States, foreign nationals may receive either an immigrant or non-immigrant visa for entry, depending on their goals and their status with regard to U.S. immigration rules. Visas can be given for tourism, work, study, or for people who ultimately intend to live and work in the United States for the rest of their lives.

However, when the United States government discovers that a person has entered the United States illegally, overstayed their visa, or otherwise violated U.S. immigration or criminal laws, it will likely initiate removal proceedings against that person. Before a non-citizen can be deported, the government must prove that deportation is necessary. In response, the non-citizen has an opportunity to argue that he or she should be allowed to stay in the United States.

In addition, there are also several ways to become a United States citizen. Accordingly, it is important that you consult an experienced attorney so that you have a full understanding of specific rules and requirements for becoming a United States citizen.

To learn more about immigration reform and whether you are eligible to become a United States citizen, call the Law Offices of Robbins and Licavoli and speak to an experienced Michigan immigration attorney for an initial consultation.

Get in Touch with Robbins & Licavoli